Friday, March 12, 2010

What is old is new again


I thought that I would go back through my samples and dig up some old pieces to post. I guess you could call it a "Greatest Hits" posting while I work on new pieces. Hell, if musicians can do it, why can't I?



This first one is a piece I did many years ago for a possible t-shirt design. The shirt was never printed but I always liked the icon. I have a version with a graphic behind him but I thought it was distracting.

The elephant was another t-shirt design that was actually produced for a kid's conference. The client handed out the shirts to the kids and said it was a big hit. I really like the graphic style of the image. Maybe I should go back to my heavy outlines for a few newer pieces.


The dragon was a project for an ice cream company in Pennsylvania. They were looking for something different so I thought why not have a dragon eating ice cream to cool his/her parched throat. Needless to say they thought it was a bit too different. I still got a decent illustration from it.

This image of the standup bassist was something I did for myself. My wonderful wife bought me a standup bass for my birthday so I was inspired to do this piece. I was listening to a lot of Mingus at the time which may have been an influence as well.

I like robots, especially old ones from the 40's and 50's. This robot was a demo piece I did for my Adobe Illustrator students. I projected the illustration on a screen while I worked on so they could see how I worked in the software. People always seem to like this piece a lot.

Well that is it for this week. We are to have some warm weather this weekend here in Maine so I guess it is time to start working on the outside of the house. Have a great week and until next time, keep drawing!


3 comments:

Hazel Mitchell said...

Trouble is those musicians keep on getting royalties ... I especially like the dragon and the concept .. those clients! What do they know?? LOL.

Russ Cox said...

That is true. They do get royalties while we get screwed over. Well, some of them get royalties.

Cynthia DiBlasi said...

These pieces are fabulous! So colorful, fun and full of energy and might I add, very inspiring! I enjoyed skimming through your blog and reading about your influences. Thank you for sharing and for following my blog!

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin