Friday, April 30, 2010

My Brain Is Turning Upside Down

Hello everyone,


Sorry for not posting anything last week. We had visitors from Pennsylvania for most of the week and I took some time off. Our daughter, my sister and her twins were our guest. Are family members considered guest? It was great to spend time with them and show them around Maine. It made me realize that my wife and I need to get out and explore this amazing state. The twins loved the Maine Discovery Museum which is in Bangor. We ate, drank, and played games in the evening while laughing the whole time. I will not get into the long running joke but it was wrong on so many levels. Only the truly warped would find it funny. Our daughter and her beau will be back in a couple of weeks so we can meet him before the two of them run off to Chicago. I hear it is a fun place.

There will no image post this week due to my many commitments. I am working on a Fun Times issue for McDonalds at the moment. I can't post anything right now and will have to wait until it is printed. I enjoy doing the various issues for them. There are other projects in the works. Hopefully I will land a game project that I submitted sketches for review. Seems like a really fun project if I get it. They are paying for the sketches so it is not a "spec" job. Speaking of spec work, there was a cool book that I was contacted about doing the illustrations for but they wanted sample sketches without paying for them so I turned it down. I just cannot do spec work. It seems to be the norm lately and is killing our industry. Just say NO to spec work.

Speaking of books, I have a couple of ideas for some children's books that I need to get down on paper soon. If it turns out to my liking, I will try to submit it to publishers as a finished book with the illustrations and layout already to go. If no one wants it, I will think about self publishing it. But first, I must write the thing.

Another thing I want to do is build my first banjo. I really have the urge to do this. It will be a gourd banjo with a look from the 1800's. In the late evenings, I have been doing research on how to build them. I doubt the first one will be playable but it will be fun to do. I was told the 10th instrument you build will be the first that is playable and to your liking. We shall see.

I am waiting for the new Flash and Illustrator to come out in late May. They have some nice features. Plus I want, and need, to do some new Flash pieces to promote that end of my capabilities. Making things move is really exciting and the happy mistakes keep you learning and on your toes. Several ideas are rolling around for those pieces as well. I think I need another day in the week.

That is enough for this week. As you can see, my brain really is turning upside down.

Keep on drawing!
Russ

No comments:

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin