Friday, April 2, 2010

Roscoe


Hello everyone,


I decided to do a series of caricatures of "old time" musicians because I find their facial features very interesting. Many worked in the mines or fields back in the 30's, 40's, and 50's so the years of hard labor really show not only on their bodies but the music as well. The first one I am working on is of banjoist Roscoe Holcomb. He is from Virginia and it's mines. Roscoe is a well known banjoist who has influenced many players including myself. His music is haunting and he sings as if his soul is trying to escape.

This is the first preliminary sketch. I want to refine it and exaggerate his features a bit more. Once I get it to my liking, I will place it into Painter to apply color. This will be my first Painter project so I am excited and leery at the same time. I will post the various stages of the piece as it develops.

It is very warm here in Maine so I am going to try to enjoy the outdoors this weekend. Have a lovely weekend and keep on drawing!

Russ

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hey Russ! Thanks for the welcome to ning and the blog follow. I'm following you here now too, and will go check out your other blog in a sec. This caricature is fantastic! I'm lousy at them so I really admire artists who can do them. I work almost exclusively in colored pencil, but have ventured into photoshop a wee little bit, mostly with coloring in solid backgrounds where it would take me six months to finish it in pencil! So I understand your mixed feelings about trying painter. I just got a wacom bamboo which came with painter essentials but I've only fooled around with it. Best of luck, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

Susan said...

Ahhh, I see your other blog is a shared one, so I'll stick here. Thanks again! Susan

Russ Cox said...

Hi Susan,

Thank you liking the caricature. I excited about adding color and really giving him some life.

I worked a lot with color pencil and gouache (with Dr. Martin's Dyes). They are my favorite traditional mediums.

Russ

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin