Friday, April 16, 2010

The Urge To Draw


After a couple of weeks of working on various kids related projects, I got the urge to sketch last night. As soon as I put the pencil to paper (yes, I still draw traditionally), women started to appear on the paper. I guess you can only draw so many kids before you need a brief break from the subject matter.


The girl on the left is something I am going to work up into some pinup pose. Yes, I love pinup art and have collected a few books on the subject. I think she would look really good done graphically with a background enclosed in an organic shape. I will put some tracing paper over her and work out the hands and feet. The bottom right sketch is based on a "geeky" girl and will work out her body posture/position and clothing.

It seems as of late that I have gotten back into just drawing and sketching which has been a joy. You can get wrapped up in projects and forget to do some things just for yourself. It keeps you fresh and invigorated plus just improves your drawing skills. I have not forgotten about the caricatures and will get back to those soon. Painter here I come!

Before I sign off for the week, I FINALLY added some animations to my website (http://www.smilingotis.com/animation/animat.html). Most of them were done for American Greetings who added their own background music after the animations were delivered. There are a few Flash intros and a long piece that was completed for a party invitation. I do have a couple of ideas for new pieces but I want to wait for Flash CS5 to come out next month. It has some new features that will take some time to play around with and a couple of new drawing brushes.

That is all for this week and remember to keep on drawing!
Russ

2 comments:

D. M. C. Eleven said...

Mmmmm... women in glasses...

Design Girl said...

Russ,
Great work! I found your blog on linked in. please feel free to follow me as well!
Happy drawing! :)

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin