Thursday, June 17, 2010

Progress!


Hello everyone,Sorry for not posting last week but too many things were going on and keeping busy with various projects. Plus I finally ended my battle with Adobe. That ate up a major part of my time. I received my refund so I reordered the appropriate upgrade and spent the weekend installing CS5 versions of my software. I must say the latest upgrade is really nice. Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc., have great and very time saving features. Flash Catalyst also has me very intrigued and I may try some things out with a new website for Smiling Otis. I also installed Snow Leopard which makes my system run much faster. So far, there is harmony in the studio.

The "Demon Garage" logo is coming along quite well. In the above image, you can see where I started adding the line work to the sketches. I keep the lines at 1 point or less so I can see the template (sketch) underneath. Plus it makes getting the curves to where I want them much easier. The flame on top of the "DG" was simplified so it would look a bit less cartoony. It fits into the top much better than on the sketch.

After I get the line work completed, I then go in and change the weights of the lines so I can a good balance of thicks and thins. You can see this step in the image. From there, I convert the lines to outlines and join the endpoints so I get my tapered line look. I use the handles and adjust the curves if necessary. Once the line work is where I want them, I them remove sections that overlap. CS5 will save a ton of time with how I work my lines. There are some other things I do but I don't want to spill the beans on everything or I will be out of work. LOL!
In this final image, you can see the line work in place and then some tone added. My next step will be add color which will probably be 3 or 4 PMS colors. But first, I need to work on the type treatments. I will show that in the next phase and post here.

Well, tomorrow is Friday and we are having a large shindig here at the house so I must spend some time tomorrow prepping for it. Have a lovely week and I will leave you with this quote:

"Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad." Salvadore Dali


No comments:

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin