Sunday, August 22, 2010

Another week has come and gone


Another week has come and gone. I took some time off this week. We had friends come up from Pennsylvania for a visit. It was wonderful to see them and be able to hang out. Lots of lobster, scallops, and mussels were consumed.


I purchased a couple of books to help improve some of my skills. The first book I bought is How To Cheat At Flash CS5 by Chris Georgenes. This is a must have book for those with some Flash capabilities. It provides easy-to-follow explanations of various Flash workarounds. It is geared towards animators but it also has some ActionScript tutorials which are very helpful for someone like me who has tried doing some ActionScripting but just cannot get a handle on it. Chris is also very helpful if you have any questions regarding Flash. He is very down to earth and willing to share information. His blog is http://www.keyframer.com and website is http://www.mudbubble.com.

The second book I purchased is Traditional Oil Painting by Virgil Elliot. Ever since my oil painting workshop last month, I have the bug to paint traditionally. I figured that I needed a refresher since it has been years of my last studio class. I read some very good things about this book. Having read the first few chapters, I can say that the reviews were spot on. The book provides samples and details of how various masterpieces were painted. Plus the author provides demostrations as well. If you are thinking about reading up on oil painting, this is the perfect book to get you on track.

I bought a couple of new sketchbooks so I am ready to do some drawing in them. After reading An Illustrated Life by Danny Gregory, I have been inspired to draw for myself. The book shows samples from various artist's sketchbooks and has them talking about why they work in them.

Well this coming week is going to be very busy. Hopefully I can post some samples.

"A critic in my house sees some paintings. Greatly perturbed, he asks for my drawings. My drawings? Never! They are my letters, my secrets." Paul Gauguin

No comments:

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin