Friday, August 27, 2010

Onward




Things are still moving forward with "Molly Kite" being published. Not a lot of details to posts but we did develop another character for a possible future book in the series. Her name is Nana Wacky. She is like a hippy grandmother that is filled with wisdom and is a ton of fun.

McDonalds contacted me this week about doing some artwork for them which is always fun. The deadline is tight but that is the norm for their turnaround. Other projects are coming in as well. Still working on an animated piece for a client that is both fun and educational. I have a couple of logo projects in here as well. One is for an Autism website so I have been doing a bit of research for that one.

Last night I began sketching in my sketchbook for the Brooklyn Art Library's "Sketchbook Project Tour 2011". The theme that was assigned to me is "figuring you out". I have a bunch of ideas for it but need to find the time to really dive into the book. The sketchbooks are due back at the first of the year. Afterwards they will go on tour around the country, including Portland, Maine. You can keep track on how many times your book is being viewed. The sketchbooks will stay in the library's permanent collection. It will be nice to have something in a collection.

Speaking of sketchbooks, here a couple of pieces that I scanned in to share with you. The first one is just a series of doodles. As you can see if you look closely, they were done on a hotel note pad. There is something about drawing on notepads that I find makes drawing easier. I guess it might be that the paper is already tarnished with ink so you cannot screw it up. The second sketch is just something silly. It is pretty typical of what a boy would do. The thinking, or lack thereof, would be "HEY! I can use this fishbowl as a space helmet!" Of course we would forget to dump the water out or remove the fish.

Until next week, I will leave with this quote:
"It is only by drawing often, drawing everything, drawing incessantly, that one fine day you discover to your surprise that you have rendered something in its true character." Camille Pissarro

4 comments:

Hazel Mitchell said...

I love the sketches. We were just talking last night about how drawing on lined paper makes you not precious about what you draw so you just do it.

I can see exactly where the inspiration for the granny came from!!! :-)

Russ Cox said...

Thanks WB! I almost bought sketchbooks that were lined but thought that was too safe and comfortable. I think as artist we all need to do things outside our comfort zone.

Pink Pig said...

Fab work! I really love the wee boy with the fish bowl sketch just as it is!

Russ Cox said...

Thanks Pink!

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin