Friday, September 24, 2010

Sketch Friday

Another Friday has arrived so it is time for me to spiel about what is going here in the land of Otis. More projects keep flowing in with even more on the horizon. This has been a wonderful year for me so far and I am very grateful. Since I am busy with working with others on their projects, it is leaving me less time to do some things for myself. So, I decided to start doing a 20 minute or less sketch on Fridays and posting them here on the blog plus on my Facebook page. I will not doctor or erase them in Photoshop except to boast the contrast. You will get to see and comment on the drawings with their warts and all. I hope to stay away from my usual cartoony style and do more life drawings. This is the first one that I did a few minutes ago. I saw the image online and thought her back was beautiful. There are a few problems with the sketch but I enjoyed it and am quite pleased with it.


I recently have been on a art related reading kick (as you can tell from past posts). From my research, I read excellent reviews on Robert Schmid's Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting so I purchased a copy. It arrived today and is very detailed. I want to find a few hours this weekend to begin reading it. Oh, if you want a copy, it can be very expensive, especially the hardbound edition. I got the softbound directly from his website which sells for $49.95. You can find it at http://www.richardschmid.com/book.html. This book is used by many painting instructors and professionals. I will give you my feedback after I finish it.

Tomorrow I am heading to Colby College with a bunch of artist friends to view a James McNeill Whistler collection. I have been looking forward to this all summer. A full report will follow next week.

Until next week, i leave you with this:
"I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious." Andrew Wyeth

No comments:

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin