Friday, October 22, 2010

Where did the week go?

Is it Friday already? Where did the week go? Wow! I must have had my head to the grindstone all week. It really has been pretty crazy here in the land of Otis.

I mentioned last week about me going to a conference for children's book writers and illustrators in January. And that I need to begin work on some new pieces to show at the conference. During the evenings, I have begun sketching out ideas. This is the first one I came up with during this time. It is a tad different from my usually concepts in that it is less wacky or wild. I like the idea of this little girl handing a flower to some big robot. Not sure where it came from but I do like it. It might because everyone is different but can still be civil to one another. I am struggle whether the robot should be less friendly looking or keep his facial expression warm and friendly. There are more ideas flowing for other pieces that I need to get sketched out so I can edit and figure out which of them are solid enough to do finalized illustrations.

© 2010 Smiling Otis Studio

I am still in the midst of several large projects but I got a call from the History Channel about the possibility of working on some illustrations for a logo they are putting together. Nothing is set in stone and everything needs to be approved before any work is begun but I am excited about the possibilities and doors it may open for me.

On a different topic, has anyone read any of Mary Roach's books? If not, you must do so. They are funny but still educational at the same time. They read like you are talking with her at a bar after a few drinks. Great writing! I just finished Packing For Mars and laughed throughout the book. It is about the space program and has some interesting facts that you may or may not know about. Also checkout Bonk, Stiff, and Spook.

My wife and I are heading to Portland tomorrow for their annual Harvest On The Harbor event. A day filled with food and drink from restaurants, vineyards, food providers, etc. from the state of Maine. We went last year and had a great time.

I think it is time to call it a day so I will leave you with this quote:
"Painting is just another way of keeping a diary." Pablo Picasso

2 comments:

Pink Pig said...

Nice sketch- really like it!- (I think the robot is just about right)

Russ Cox said...

Thanks Pink for the feedback.

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin