Friday, October 1, 2010

Peaks and Valleys

© 2010 Smiling Otis Studio

This has been an up and down week here in the merry land of Otis. I was selected to do some style samples for a card game that is going to be in stores nationally. I cannot indulge too much info at this time because the game is in development. I must say that they are a very friendly and professional group. They understand that samples takes time and paid for them. Many people/companies today think they should get the work for free so they can decide which they like better. I do not mind working on paid samples but I will not do "art contest". Anyway, enough of that rant, so it was narrowed down to another illustrator and myself. Well, I did not get the project. BUT, they liked what I did so much that as soon as they develop a kids game, it will be mine. As disappointing as it was, there is definitely a bright spot. The above image is what I submitted. I tried to tone down the my cartoon style a bit and go for a more graphic look. To give the illustrations a texture, I placed a paper image over top and played with the transparency controls to give them a more organic look. The smaller icons needed more work but it helped convey the approach I was after.


The sketch above is for my "20 Minute Sketch Friday" thing I started doing last week. My aim is to do something different from my usual style. I wanted to do a quick portrait study with quick line work and few details. I enjoy the looseness of the sketch and how incomplete it looks. Putting a time limit on the drawing kept me from adding more detail which I tend to do with a lot of my artwork. Less is more. Doing these sketches really have me wanting to attend some workshops or drawing sessions here in the area. I may head over to Belfast for a Monday night drawing session in the next few weeks. Being around other artist will help improve my drawings and paintings plus meet new people.

On the project front, it seems to be hospital or medical illustration work coming in at the moment. Working a serious of spots for some information sheets. And I am doing a large campus map for a hospital in PA. Doing this type of work is a wonderful break from the cartoon stuff I usual do and re-energizes me. We should always try new and different challenges. It is what makes us grow, not only as artist, but as people.

Well, I need to get back to some projects before the storm hits. The winds are picking up so we might loose power today. I leave you with this quote:

"To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams." Giorgio de Chirico



No comments:

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin