Saturday, November 20, 2010

Experimenting


© 2010 Russ Cox/Smiling Otis Studio

This week was spent experimenting a bit using some of Adobe Illustrator CS5 new brushes. I previewed the sketch in last week's posting. I am trying to give my work a fresh look while maintaining my "style". While playing around with the very cool "bristle brush" feature, I discovered how it could give my work a more painterly look and feel. It is the softness of the new brushes that also help give the characters some dimension. The overall look of the final illustration seemed to be lacking something. I then had the idea to add some texture to various components with a final texture laid over the completed illustration to pull it all together. I am not sure if I will continue to work in this style. I think it has a cool retro look overall. I am not sure if I will add this to my portfolio to show in January. The composition may have to be simplified in order to get all of the textures to work together. Another thought is to actually paint it traditionally or in Painter. Experimentation is always fun and refreshing. You discover so many new things which could open doors in other areas. It plants the seeds of growth as an artist.

Last evening my wife and I went to Bangor with a group of friends for an art walk. Saw lots of nice work and even cooler work spaces. My goal for next year is show a couple of fine art pieces in a show. Even though I did not like some of the artwork, I admired all of the artist for letting people see their inner working and thoughts. No matter who you are, some will love it and others will not.

Well, I need to get ready for a party so I will leave you the following. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
"When I work, I work very fast, but preparing to work can take any length of time." ~Cy Twombly

3 comments:

Ep said...

You never cease to amaze. Which reminds me, I need to get you more money.

Katie Adams said...

I really like what you did with your experimenting. And the texture helps bring it all together. Great work!

Russ Cox said...

Thank you Ep and Katie for the kind words.

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin