Friday, November 5, 2010

The Lead Continues To Fly

This week has been a mix of paying projects and working on some new pieces for myself. I just picked up a new project from AAA which will involve some spot illustrations and a game design with illustrations. They will be programming the game but it will be fun to help them put together the elements. The game will be used in-house for training purposes.


© 2010 Smiling Otis Studio

I started sketching out some new illustrations so put into my portfolio for the SCWBI conference. The above sketch is a play on monsters under the bed with the kids being the little monsters. I am going to put a title on the book with something like Brats Go Bump In The Night. I like putting a twist to things and adding little detail elements to help with the concept.

© 2010 Smiling Otis Studio

After reviewing the girl and robot sketch, I thought it was a little flat and needed more dynamics. I changed the viewpoint so the robot looks larger and pulls the eye towards the girl. The outer edge will be organic with the flowers crating the border. I may enlarge the robot a tad more. It has been a while but I may attempt to do this one with dyes and gouache. I am feeling daring this week!
© 2010 Smiling Otis Studio

© 2010 Smiling Otis Studio

Another thing I want to work on is to make my digital work more illustrative and less commercial. Illustrator has a ton of new features that I began testing. I want to retain the looseness and energy of my sketches. The "Paint Inside" feature is wonderful and saves a ton of time. Plus the new brushes allow you to apply color in a painterly way. I may try a second sample this weekend by taking the sketch into Painter and applying color. I will post the results.

If you haven't done so, I am now on Twitter. You can find me as @smilingotis. Also sign up for the other two blogs where I am posting samples: Pixel Shavings and 20 Minute Sketch Friday.

I got a new banjo so I am outta here to drive my wife crazy!

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand thee is not art" Leonardo da Vinci

2 comments:

Hazel Mitchell said...

The new angle on the robot sketch is AWESOME!

Russ Cox said...

Thanks WB!

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin