Sunday, December 19, 2010

Back in the saddle



©2010 Russ Cox/Smiling Otis Studio

Many apologies for not posting last week. Caught a bug that had me under the weather for a few days. Plus my workload was still heavy so I had to get some things out the door.

These sketches are for a personal project that I am trying to develop. I'm not going to reveal too much information but will post things as they progress. The kids are bit different than what I normally do with larger heads, simplified the eyes, and softer features. The other characters are my standard style and look. I still am still working on the overall look but needed to get the first set of sketches down on paper so I can review them periodically.

Progress is being made on new promo pieces but nothing completed to share with you right now. Time is running out since the conference is less than 5 weeks away. A lot of late nights coming up after the holidays are over.

I am in communications with some Bangor area fine artist to put together a regular figure drawing class. There are some very impressive artist involved. I hope we can get something going on a monthly basis. It would be a perfect opportunity to learn and grow as an artist. Our first session is in February and will post results.

Speaking of figure drawings, you must check out Isaac Peleko's drawings. We have a couple of his paintings. Simply beautiful.

On a personal note, I am taking this week off for the Christmas holiday. Our son and daughter will be around and my parents are driving up from Tennessee. It will be warm, festive house for Christmas. I do a post this coming Friday.


"Color is an inborn gift, but appreciation of value is merely training of the eye, which everyone ought to be able to acquire."~ John Singer Sargent




3 comments:

PWeiner said...

Russ,
I have always enjoyed your goofy fun loving monsters. I would like to see how you handle some of these sketches in your new style.
Good-luck

Paul

Russ Cox said...

Thank you so much Paul. As things develop, Ii will post images. Happy holidays!

Veronica said...

I love seeing other illustrators' sketches and developmental work - and these are fabulous! Good luck with all the book projects.

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin