Monday, January 17, 2011

Almost there



©2011 Russ Cox/Smiling Otis Studio

After a long weekend of work (and play), I am almost ready for New York. All of the new artwork is completed. A print and new postcards have been ordered. Now I working on a portfolio to take along in hopes of showing it around. I need to setup a agent and/or publisher meeting for next Thursday since that will be my only downtime while in the Big Apple. The above piece is new. I posted sketches a month or so ago. I think it turned out quite well.

Time to turn my attention back to some paying jobs. It seems like logo month here. I also go a cool menu job where I get to design and illustrate the whole thing. Some inquiries have come in as well regarding animation work. It has been a few months since my last animation so that should be fun. 2 of the 3 book projects fell threw due to budget restraints. the third one has some promise but not until early spring.

Onto some personal chit chat. I got together with a fiddler, singer/guitarist, and another clawhammer banjo player for some pickin' and grinnin' in the old-time way. It was our first time together and there was definitely some chemistry. We played for 3 and half hours. I even broke out the standup bass for some tunes. We are talking about playing together on a regular basis. It has been over 3 years since I have played out and really miss it. We shall see where this goes.

The weather here in Maine is on the chilly side. The high this morning was 8 with a breeze. It is better than a cup of coffee to wake up with just by sticking your head out the door.

I am tired so I want to call it a day.
I shut my eyes in order to see.” ~ Paul Gauguin


2 comments:

Katie Adams said...

The illustration turned out great!

Russ Cox said...

Thanks Katie!

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin