Sunday, January 9, 2011

Better late than never

I am running a few days late on my weekly blog update. It has been extremely busy here with projects, new promo pieces, quoting, etc. There seems to be an alignment of the children's book gods as of late. I have been getting numerous request for quotes and just received another over the weekend. This writer actually has a publisher and was searching for an illustrator. He found me online and liked my work so we are chatting more tomorrow. I am not sure if the publisher will allow him to choose the illustrator but it could at least get my work looked at by the publishing company. You must take advantage of any door opening no matter how small the crack may be.


On Friday I was asked to join a group of fine artist for a week long get away on Monhegan Island for some drawing, painting, music, hiking, and all around good time. Monhegan is basically an artist community that you must take a ferry in order to get onto the island. If you are interested, you can go to their webpage for more information. I am looking forward to it. Some members of this community and I are starting a life drawing group. We are hoping to having our first session next month. This should be a golden opportunity for me to improve my drawing skills.

My wife and I, along with two friends, went to Unity College Friday evening to see The Fishtank Ensemble. We did not know too much about them but we are so glad we went. They were absolutely AMAZING! They have a gypsy jazz vibe to them but incorporate other styles into their music. The core of the band is standup slap bass, saw and vocals, flamenco guitar, and fiddle. If they are playing near you, and you love music, please go see them. You will not be disappointed! Click here to see a video clip of them live.

Speaking of music, I am getting together with three other musicians next Saturday for some music and mayhem. I have been searching for people who want to play some old-time music. It is not country or bluegrass but you can hear its influence into those styles. The singer/guitarist and I got together this past week and I was blown away with his vocal ability. It is inspiring to find someone who loves music as much as I do, especially the old-time sound. Now I want to get better at the clawhammer banjo. It would be nice if the four of us click and could do something musically together but one step at a time.

I am not going to post any images from this past week. I am almost finished with the new pieces for my promo and will share some next Friday. Have a lovely week and I leave you with this quote:

No comments:

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin