Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ready for the weekend





©2011 Russ Cox/Smiling Otis Studio

Hello everyone out there in the great frozen tundra or the sunshine of the South. I hope you are staying warm. We are getting some additional snow at the moment but at least it is a tad warmer. Not that I really mind the cold, I enjoy it more than the heat.

I spent this past weekend working on my portfolio for New York. Hopefully I will get an opportunity to show it to some key people for feedback. It is a long shot since there will be hundreds of others wanting the same thing. But one has got to try, right? The above images are from my portfolio and were quickly shot with my iPhone. I used my Epson to print everything out, sprayed the pages with a fixative for protection, trimmed everything, and bound it with special kit I purchased many years ago. My goal is to have it stand out, since it is in a book form, from the traditional cases that most will be using. Towards the back of the book are printouts of sketches that were done for some of the illustrations in the book. I know some like seeing the thought process as much, if not more, than the finished piece.

The SCBWI conference is this weekend so along with my portfolio, I ordered postcards to hand out and a giclee print for the illustrators review. I found a great place to get archival prints, Picture Salon. They are an excellent group to work with and do an outstanding job. I ordered a couple of larger prints as well and was extremely happy with the final prints. i am now thinking of a limited print run of a couple of illustrations.

There will not be a posting this Friday but will give you complete details of the conference once I return. My fingers are crossed that something good comes from it. Just going is a step in the right direction. Hey, it is New York! Enough said!

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere." ~ Carl Sagan

2 comments:

Josh said...

Sweet! Looking forward to checking it out in person!

Russ Cox said...

Thanks Josh!

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin