Friday, February 25, 2011

Still Here


©2011 Russ Cox | Smiling Otis Studio

Sorry to the two week pause in posting on the blog. Time just got away from me with various projects and promotional stuff. I finally received postcards for mailing to art directors and a few agents. They turned out quite well. On Tuesday, I mailed out 60 to various places. My game plan is to do 20-30 a week until the cards are gone. Then it is time for a new image or two and a second mailing. And so the cycle goes on.

This past weekend I got together with several Bangor fine artist and my good friend The Wacky Brit to do some life drawings. We hired a model for the day. There were many really nice drawings. I like the above drawing which was done in 30 minutes. It was drawn on 18x24 newsprint with a pencil (I had to scan it in sections in order to get the whole image together). My favorite from the hour and a half session, I gave to the model. I used brown crafter paper, pencil, and white charcoal. The tone of the paper was lovely and helped the white charcoal pop. Hopefully everyone had a good time and learned a few things. Everyone was excited to do it again so this will be a bi-monthly event. We have several other models ready to go. I hope they are as good as Meghan. She has really raised the bar.

My new website seems to be a mild success. I have gotten lots of positive feedback on it and few inquiries about some possible jobs. Speaking of jobs, this month seems to be logo month for me. Lots of logos in the works. I really enjoy the challenge they bring. To brand someone's product or business properly can be stressful, but I welcome the challenge. I cannot post any sketches due to signing NDA's but will once they are launched.

I am also working on an app for the iPad and iPhone. That is another project that I cannot say anything about until it is launched. This will be first project for that format which I find very exciting. There is so much to learn with this new area of the graphic arts. Maybe this will lead to more and a few books. One can only hope and keep reaching towards it. Now I need to get an iPad which I will wait until the new one comes out.

Slowly I am making progress writing three book ideas that I have on the drawing table. I am finding it hard to focus on just one story at the moment. It is a bit intimidating since I never have written a book. The visuals are there in my head but I need to get the words onto some paper. Going to the library every Friday for an hour is a good break and provides me alone time to concentrate on the writing part of the stories. My goal is still to have one written and comped up by June. I think I need to have one completely written and fine tuned by the end of March so I can move forward on the visuals. Since I signed up for the NESCBWI conference in May, it may be of my best interest to have something to take with me. I am not going to rush anything for the conference, but it could help me move along a bit faster and get some things completed.

There is a really cool app for the iPhone called Hipstamatic. It allows you to create a vintage/retro look from those old toy cameras with your iPhone photos. I shot the above image very quickly this morning while it was snowing (and it still is!). There is also a website dedicated to Hipstamatic photos.

Tomorrow, I am off to see Flogging Molly with my wife and son. We are looking forward to heading to Portland for the evening. Flogging Molly is a great band live. Check out if you get a chance.

"I try to apply colors like words that shape poems, like notes that shape music." ~ Joan Miro




1 comment:

CJ said...

LOVE the study of the female!

Great work I'm seeing on our blog so far, I'll most def keep an eye on it! Can't wait to see more from you. :)

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin