Friday, April 22, 2011

I'm Still Standing

© 2011 Smiling Otis Studio


Hello everyone in Bloggerland,

My apologies for not posting last week. Time got away from me. I'm very grateful to be busy so I cannot and will not complain. Some new McDonald's work came in which needed my attention. There a few small spots that I need complete over the weekend.

As some of you may know, I am a member of the Pittsfield Historical Society. We are a small group that preserves and notates the history of Pittsfield. We are also trying to restore our depot station which is used as our museum and where we store the town's artifacts. Since I am new to the town, and really cannot contribute anything historical at the moment, I decided to redo the group's logo. The above image is the design we settled on for the logo. I wanted to capture a turn of the century vibe without using a local icon. There is so much history in the area that I felt it would have not been fair to focus on one element. The font came from Letterhead Fonts which has a great vintage font collection.

I have been itching to get back to Painter. I have a few ideas that I want to try out and hopefully build a second portfolio of samples. But one must pay the bills first and focus on the task at hand. I foresee some late nights coming up in order to cure that itch.

Another thing I must work on is my poster illustration for the NESCBWI conference in May. That is just around the corner. We must take a children's book that we consider a classic and redo the cover artwork along with the lettering. Yesterday I finally decided on the story I am redoing. I was originally going to redo The Stinky Cheeseman but Lane Smith's illustrations are so iconic and beautifully created that there is no way that I can compete with their perfection. I will tell you the week of the conference the story I am doing. Do not want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. I will say that I think it fits my style.

Last week I did a blog radio interview with Dellani Oakes, Christine Fonesca, and Kinsy McVay. If you want to hear the interview click here. I had a good time but my new nickname is Ramblin' Russ and will leave it at that. Those of you who know me will probably be cracking up the whole time. Enjoy!

My children's story is coming along slowly and I have been chipping away at it. Trying to get a flow and rhythm to the story. One of my writer buddies has offered me some very good feedback and advice. This is a whole new venture for me and even though it is for a children's picture book, I am finding it very difficult to get the story just right. I have the visuals already worked out, but the words are a struggle. I have even a greater respect for those who can write a good story and a sense of wordplay. Going to the Pittsfield Library on Friday's is a big help. With my iPad and headphones, I can zone out and focus on the story.

Last weekend I did another life drawing session with the Bangor Life Drawing Group. John LeBlanc and I organize it. We had a great session with Jason who modeled nude for the first time. He did a wonderful job. I know there is no way I could do it. Of course, no one would want me to! Lots of kick ass drawings came out this session. Sorry that I do not have anything to post from it. I gave Jason my favorite drawing. Plus the paper would not fit on my scanner and I hate taking photos of artwork. I think we are going to setup a group show in the fall. Our next session is in June. I'm already looking forward to it.

Well that is it for this week, er, past two weeks. My wife and I are heading to Bangor to meet up with some friends. Speaking of my wife, she no longer is working at Dunkin' Donuts. She got a great job as a dispatcher with Delta Ambulance in Waterville. No more 70 hour weeks and early morning shifts. Now we must learn to be around each other again. Hopefully I will not drive her too crazy.

Oh, do not forget to sign up for the "Penelope and the Robot" print giveaway which is at the end of the month. Just post a comment under the giveaway post.

And THANKS to everyone for following, I have broken the "100 Followers" mark!

"The job of the artist is always to deepen the mystery." ~ Francis Bacon

1 comment:

Jason A. M. said...

Yes I have the pic. It is great thanks. I will hand it back to you If you need it. Just glad to help. :)

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin