Sunday, May 29, 2011

Busy, busy, busy!

I hope everyone is enjoying their 3 day weekend. Since it looks like rain today, I plan on spending the day relaxing on the couch. Maybe I will do some sketching to get a head start on the week. My wife and I spent all day Saturday cleaning out our basement. We still had unpacked boxes from our move to Maine 3 years ago. It always feels good to get a major accomplishment done around the house.



©2011 Scott Pet|Smiling Otis Studio

Things are a bit hectic in the merry land of Otis. Last week was spent working on an animation for Scott Pet. They will be using the Flash animation on their new website. I cannot post the final animation just yet but here are some of the images that was used. I posted a sample of their character and the storyboard with the final artwork. The total animation last around 12 seconds. It was good to dust off the Flash cobwebs. I have second animated piece in the works for another client but it is still early in the storyboard stage.

While at the NESCBWI conference a few weekends ago, I received a phone call about illustrating a children's book. The call was from the author who really liked my work. She is working with a small publisher who gave her the go ahead and find an illustrator. The author is a very lovely person and I think we will work well together. I cannot give out any details on the book due to signing a NDA but hopefully can post things once the book is published. The real kicker is the deadline for all of the illustrations is at the end of July. Plus I have a vacation in there, YIKES! These next two months are going to be very busy so if my post are few and far between, I apologize. I will at least try to give a quick update.

I did some character develop this past week as well for a website. The client was very happy with the character I created and has more work for me. The "In" pile keeps growing which is a good thing and I will not complain. Especially since many in the field and in general are not working at all.

Last weekend I moved my office into another section of the house. I now have more sunlight, room, and air circulation. It feels good not to be so crowded even though there is something comforting and cozy about a small work area. I would like to get my easel in the new space but it might be too much. I still have a few things to move over but am in no rush at the moment since they are stored in the closet.

Well that is it for this week. I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day but try to remember and thank those who allow us to be free and feel protected.

"There is no must in art because art is free." ~ Wassily Kandinsky

2 comments:

FilipZ said...

It is great to know things are busy in the Otis Art Department, Russ! Wish you luck and a steady hand in your projects!:) Keep them coming!

Russ Cox said...

Thanks Filip! I hope they continue as well. Best to you and hope you are equally as busy.

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin