Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Playing with Photoshop

Hello everyone! I hope each of you had a wonderful 4th of July weekend. We did not do too much. My wife and I mostly worked over the weekend. I did manage to get to a cookout on Sunday which was lovely.


Since I worked all weekend, I decided to play around this morning and do something for myself. After watching Will Terry's Photoshop painting tutorial several times, I thought it would be a good time to try out Photoshop for painting. The alligator image was a quick doodle that I did this morning. What I am trying to do now is develop a more traditional look but still work digitally. Not that I am abandoning Illustrator which I still love, I feel like I need to grow as an illustrator and branch out. I was happy with the way the gator turned out. Especially since I only spent around 3 hours on it. There are some things I do not like such as the thermometer which I may do again. The idea of keeping the original sketch in place forced me to keep the overall look loose. Next time I will probably do a bit tighter sketch so the pencil work is a tad cleaner.

I got one of the two book projects that I bid on a few weeks ago. I am very excited about working on the book since I will have a lot of creative freedom. Hopefully this will lead to a series and a long lasting relationship with the publisher. Speaking of publishers, looks like Molly Kite did get picked up by one so the details are being worked out now. That is all I can report on that for now.

Next week I am heading out with a group of area artist to Monhegan Island to paint and draw. There will be around 20 of us for the week sharing two houses, cooking and cleaning, plus many bottles of wine. I have never done something like this but know it will be a valuable experience. My darling wife encouraged me to go and have a good time. Got love a partner like that!

Once I return from my vacation, I hope to go back posting weekly. It is hard to do during the summer. Especially here in Maine since we have only a small stretch of it before we are prepping for winter.

Until next time, I leave you with this:
"To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams." ~ Giorgio de Chirico

13 comments:

Shirley said...

Super illustration, Russ! That poor croc, hope he feels better soon.

Nathanael Lark said...

Great expressions and that little bird is hilarious! Nicely done!

Russ Cox said...

Thanks Shirley and Nathan!

Katie Adams said...

Looks great! I'm going to have to try his tutorial out some time when I have money. I'm in the same boat. I love Illustrator, but I want to branch out. Have fun on the trip! It sounds awesome.

Maaike van den Akker said...

Nice illustration!

Kayleen West - Children's Book Illustrator said...

Crock is cute while he is sick but I would fly away before he gets better if i was that bird. Great illustration Russ.

Russ Cox said...

@ Katie-I think he only charges $20 with unlimited access. You will probably already know alot of the basics he talks about in video one but overall, it is a great jumpstart for those wanting to do illustrations in Photoshop.
@ Maaike-Thanks!
@ Kayleen-I think the bird is nagging him about taking care of himself. Thanks!

Gavin Goo said...

Looks traditional to me. Nice style too!

Linda Hensley said...

Nice!

k.h.whitaker said...

love him

Russ Cox said...

Thanks Linda, K.H and Gavin! Especially Gavin who said it looks traditonal.

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

Good quote...great 'gator.

Bonnie Branson said...

I need to do the opposite. I work only in photoshop and Illustrator is a bit of a mystery to me. I need to learn how to use it! I love the texture on the alligator. :-) I will check out those tutorials.

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin