Friday, July 29, 2011

Some Artwork From Monhegan





© 2011 Russ Cox | Smiling Otis Studio

Another week has come and gone with July almost over. Next month we will begin prepping for fall and winter here in Maine. The above images are sketches and plein air paintings I did while on Monhegan Island. I had another sketch but another artist liked it so much they asked if they could have it. I was flattered so I gave it to her. The first of the two sketches was done at Squeaker Cove. It was our first full day there. It was beautiful with the waves crashing onto the rocks. I decided to do a rock study which i was happy with the outcome. The first painting I did was in the Cathedral Forest. It was my second attempt as my first painting fell onto the ground so it had to be wiped clean. Maybe that was a good sign. This was the first oil painting I have done in years. At first I could not remember what to do so i decided to just smear some color onto the canvas. I was fairly happy with the painting. The colors pop more in real life. I did some other paintings but was not happy with the results. One can only paint trees, water, and rocks for so long. I was watching these chickens and a rooster so I took some quick reference photos with my iPhone. The next day I worked on the chicken painting for a couple of hours. This is the result of my efforts. I finished up the faces once I returned home but could not scan it since the paint is still wet. The last sketch was done on the final fay on the island. It was done at Pebble Beach. Yeah, I know, it is a rock and water sketch. Sometimes the place decides what you will draw or paint. Hopefully I will get to go back next year. This trip has really given me the oil painting bug.

The past few weeks have been extremely busy. I finished up one book and have begun a second one. I am really excited about this one. It will be a ton of fun. While I have begun this one, there might be another from the same publisher coming in. Fingers crossed. I also finished up an animation project with a second one waiting in the wings. The animation work ebb and flows. With all these projects I get to design a poster from some dear friends in Lancaster, 26 characters for some playing cards, various logos, and trying to do some additional Photoshop illustrated for myself. Busy, busy, busy! You will not hear me complain. Hopefully everyone is just as busy or busier.

With everything going on, my story concept has taken a backseat. I am still sorting it out mentally and hope to get it mocked up soon.
©2011 Pixel Shavings

The illustrators group I belong to just put out some bookmarks. If you would like one, send me an email and I will get some out to you.

"Every time I paint a portrait, I lose a friend." ~ John Singer Sargent

No comments:

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin