Monday, September 5, 2011

Progress

© 2011 Russ Cox | Smiling Otis Studio

Lately, I have been playing around with Photoshop to develop a second look or style. It seems to be coming together as I get a handle on the software. I am trying to get a color pencil look to my digital illustrations that I am developing on Photoshop. Illustrator is still my main tool but I feel the need to branch out beyond its limits. The banjo pig was actually done for a website called "Banjo Pigs". I felt it would be a good starting point. The entire pieces was built in layers, working from dark to light. The highlights were the last to be placed. The real goal with this piece was to keep the color fresh, bright, and lively while keeping the sketch visible. I still have a ways to go but the plan is to do a new piece every two weeks. Hopefully by January, I can start promoting this second style as I head to the New York SCBWI conference.

Keeping very busy as Major Manners is being developed. The initial reaction to the sketches and characters have been very positive. We have moved on to a spread and cover which I will finish up soon so they can start promoting the book. I also am talking with a couple of other people about illustrating their books. Plus I have a large character project in here as well. I am so grateful for all of the work.

In my spare time, I am setting up a figure drawing workshop with Isaac Pelepko. Isaac will be coming up to Maine for two days in November to lecture and demonstrate rending the human form. It seems as if the artistic community are equally as excited because the workshop is almost full. If you are not familiar with his work, you can view his website.

I should call it a posting and enjoy the rest of Labor Day so until next time.

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way-things I had no words for." ~ Georgia O'Keeffe




No comments:

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin