Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Different Take On A Classic



© 2011 Russ Cox | Smiling Otis Studio

Sorry for the lag in between post. I have been quite busy with various projects plus working on a new promo piece which is what you see above. A few weeks ago I was down with a bug. During the day, the urge to sketch was more powerful than the flu so out came the pencil and paper. The idea of doing something different with Pinocchio has been swirling in my head for a month or so. I wondered what would Pinocchio look like if kids had built him. Without any real direction, I begin sketching and out popped the basic idea for an illustration. I added and revised a few things in the final than what is in the sketch. To tie in the "modern" version with the classic story, a cricket was added above his radar ear. I was quite happy with the final art and will be using it on my next postcard mailing.

Major Manners is still moving forward. All of the pages have been sketched and are at the publisher for review. Once they come back it will sleeves rolled up and some late nights.

Still waiting on word on the status of Molly Kite. The publisher has everything so now Tam (the author) and I are in a holding pattern.

My website has some new images and animations added to it so if you get a free moment, give it a gander. 

Our daughter and two of her friends are coming up for a three day visit this weekend. My wife and I are looking forward to seeing her. The five of us will be heading to Portland for "Harvest on the Harbor".  It would be a perfect weekend if our son could be here as well. But someone has to deliver the goods across the country. No rest for the weary so is the life of a truck driver. We are happy to see him doing something he loves. Plus he gets to see parts of the country that very few get to visit. 

My wife and I are putting together a Halloween party for friends in a few weeks so our evenings have been filled with prepping for it. Our little house is going to be packed with all kinds of costumed characters.

Until next time.

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." ~ Georgia O'Keeffe


1 comment:

Laurie Jess said...

Hi Russ, I've enjoyed your Blog & just wanted to say how much I love your artwork. You are indeed gifted, keep the fantastic art work a coming. I will be checking back!

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin