Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Cornucopia of Things


©2011 Russ Cox | Smiling Otis Studio



It has been a few weeks since my last post. Where does the tine go? I have had my nose to the grindstone this whole time. I just finished up some things for a large video game company. During this time, I was approached by another game company to develop a central character for a concept they are working on for an early 2012 launch. After several attempts, this design is what I came up with for the main character. I cannot reveal much info about him but I can tell you that this design was not picked. I do like him and so did the company. Apparently they had several illustrators working on concepts. I can post this image since I own the copyrights to him.


Recently I have also been doing some figurative work in the evenings.  Every couple of weeks I gt together with some area artist for a Tuesday night drawing club. This inspired me to do this drawing of a friend of ours who was pregnant at the time of me shooting reference photos. After 4 attempts, I finally got the proportions fairly accurate so I could render the drawing. I spent about 20 hours on it but could have easily spent more time. This is going to be a surprise Christmas gift for her.  I also did this little nude a few weeks ago which I like. It was from a photo but a good exercise.






Major Manners is almost wrapped up. I only have few more spreads to do. The publisher has been wonderful to work along side and I hope this is the start of many more books.


The past month I have sent out 400 postcards to various publishers and art directors. After the holidays, I want to mail another 200 or so. Also I need to start writing down some story ideas and begin cultivating them into a book form. It would be nice to have a dummy together for the SCBWI Winter Conference but that might be a bit ambitious. First things first, a well developed story.


I picked up a client from Africa recently and we are developing some animal characters for a card game. She is also talking about a possible book. 


November and December have been very mild here in Maine. So mild, that today we put a new bay window into our house. It really will be warm and cozy when the snow and wind come to town for the holidays and winter months. Maybe I should go build a fire this evening and enjoy the view.


"I talk as I sketch, too, in order to keep their minds off what I'm doing so I'll get the most natural expression I can from them. Also, the talking helps to size up the subject's personality, so I can figure out better how to portray him." ~ Norman Rockwell

4 comments:

Andi Butler said...

Your pencil sketches are beautiful, Russ!!

a : )

KATIA WISH said...

Fun character!

Russ Cox said...

Thanks Andi!

Russ Cox said...

Thanks Katia. I was hoping to develop him with some other characters but it did not work out that way.

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin