Monday, August 25, 2014

Shout It Out Loud!

© Russ Cox 2014

My book is done. Well, at least my part. The last illustration was sent for Faraway Friends (Sky Pony April 2015). There are mixed emotions. Part of me is glad that it is out the door, like it has gone off to college, ready to begins a new journey. But another piece of me has the empty nest syndrome. I miss it. The studio is now quiet. Now what? What will I do with the spare time? I wonder how it is doing. Should I call? No, it needs its space. It is time for the publisher to finish nurturing it. Allowing the book to grow up and be ready to face the world.

Four years. It has taken four years to get to this point. It is hard to believe that this all started with a doodle and nudge from a friend. Thanks Debbie Ohi. Several wonderful critique partners (Laura, Sharon, Katia, and Teri) helped me form the shell of the story. My agent, Jodell Sadler, helped with the interior and flow. She also found a home for it. My critique group, The New England Critique Group Without A Name, offered wonderful feedback, advice, and insight to the artwork. There are my three muses, Lynn, Nate, and Alissa, would believed in the idea from the beginning and are my biggest cheerleaders and critics. And of course family and friends who helped with their support along the way.

The next few months will be spent on a new story book series. The first one is all dummied up and being submitted while the second and third story ideas are in the writing stages. I will miss Sheldon, Rubin, Jet, and Nova while they are away, growing up, and getting ready to graduate. We will have a reunion in the spring with school and library visits, book signings, and whatever else the publisher has in store for the 5 of us.

I am looking forward to that reunion in April.


I want to give a SHOUT OUT to friends who have books coming out or recently released. These books were written and illustrated by the person listed. I highly recommend that you add them to your bookshelf or gift list. Also support your local book store and purchase these books from them.




Louise Loves Art (HarpersCollins) by Kelly Light, release date September 9, 2014




Little Elliot, Big City (Henry Holt) by Mike Curato, release date August 26, 2014




Even Monsters (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky) by A.J. Smith, released April 1, 2014




Bats In The Band (HMH Books for Young Readers) by Brian Lies, released August 5, 2014




Colors Versus Shapes (HarpersCollins) by Mike Boldt, release date August 26, 2014



A Cape (Self Published) by Marty Kelley, release date September 2015

 Always Twins (Holiday House) by Teri Weidner, release date Spring of 2015
(All images used by permission)

3 comments:

Linda Hensley said...

Congratulations! Wishing you success with your book.

Russ Cox said...

Thanks Linda!

Geoff Hassing said...

Awesome!! Congrats Russ!! Yeah, that's always one of the weirdest sensations there is as an artist, immediately after finishing up a project that you spent months working on. Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy, so that's good.

I'm sure the book will be a huge success!

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin