Monday, February 9, 2015

Starting Off On The Right Foot


2015 has started off with a bang. Two weeks ago, I signed with Danielle Smith at Red Fox Literary. I am still buzzing with excitement and full of energy from this news. Am I dreaming? No one better pinch me!

After the opening "Hi Russ", I knew she was the person I wanted to help guide my career into the direction I envision it. Sometimes you just know. Danielle and I connected right away. She got me, and I, her. Her warmth, humor, and knowledge was everything, and then some, that I heard about her. 

Where do I sign?

We chatted for an hour before she asked me if I wanted to be part of her team. I told her since she was at the top of my list, I would need about a half of second to decide. 

"Yes!"

"Great! Welcome to Red Fox Literary."

Sound the trumpets! Happy dance time!

We have hit the ground revising my latest picture book dummy. Plus she had me send her some of my story ideas to sort through. 34. Yep, I sent her 34 story ideas. It was the War and Peace of a story list. I kept typing and typing until I was tired. I went back and counted. 34. Not all of them are zingers (thanks Primus) but I figured I would see which ideas, if any, she liked. After review, we have selected a few to get rolling which include some picture books, a chapter book, and a graphic novel. My evenings are going to be filled with "story time" for quite a while. I am looking forward to working with Danielle on these ideas and seeing if any of them land a home. This is going to be a fun journey, and one I hope lasts for many years.

I am very lucky and grateful.

I need to thank a few folks for helping me get to this next phase. They were very important in getting my work in front of Danielle and the folks at Red Fox. Thank you Jennifer Bower, Julie Falatko, and Marty Kelley for being such wonderful friends and making the introductions. I cannot express how touched I am by your support and words of encouragement, but more importantly, for being such great friends.

And now, it is "story time". I am still smiling.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walt Disney

12 comments:

Darshana said...

Yeah! So glad to hear you are off to a running start. Wishing you all the best. :-)

mona said...

So excited for you, Russ. See you at NE?!?!?
Congratulations!!!

Lori Mozdzierz said...

Wahoo!Congrats, Russ!! :D

Russ Cox said...

Thank you everyone. Mona, I will be there to hand out Saturday evening and will help out a friend for his workshop but will not be attending the conference.

Joyce Shor Johnson said...

So glad wonderful is happening for you!

Wendy Martin - Art said...

So excited for you. And I'm expecting big things will follow.

Dow said...

Congratulations! How very exciting!!

Karen Grencik said...

We're so happy to have you on our team, Russ!

Carrie Pearson said...

As you know, I'm a big fan of your work and am thrilled for you! Look out world; here he comes!

jilannehoffmann.com said...

Sounds like you landed in a pond that was just right! Congrats!

JenniferNBower said...

*gush* I love you man!

AKB said...

So great! Congratulations you deserve it!

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin